Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Want to Change the World

When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. Maybe it was because I grew up in Florida and could see shuttle launches from my backyard. Or maybe it was because my family was addicted to science fiction like Star Wars and Star Trek. Getting to be the first woman to set foot on another terrestrial body was my entire mission in life. I even pretended astronaut ice cream tasted good (hint: if you eat it dry, it doesn't).

It turns out that because of a medical issue, I'll probably never get to go to space. For years I hoped that, like my hero Alan Shepard, I would outgrow it. But I've since resigned myself to a life here on Earth. It used to disappoint me, but my best friend told me something once that it took me a long time to believe: you don't have to be the president or an astronaut or have some powerfully huge job to make a difference in the world.

I imagine that many of you readers want to change the world, too. We can:
What else should be on our list?


Hat tip to Ed Yong for the link to today's image.

No comments:

Post a Comment