The Spanish seem particularly engaged in geekdom. They not only organized a 300 person human pacman in Madrid last year, but in 2006 went as far as adopting an official Geek Manifesto (in English). The Rights and Responsibilities of a Geek outlined in the Manifesto can be found below.
- be even geekier
- not leave your house.
- not have a significant other and to be a virgin.
- not like football or any other sport.
- associate with other nerds.
- have few friends (or none at all).
- have all the geeky friends that you want.
- not be "in-style."
- be overweight and have poor eyesight.
- show off your geekiness.
- take over the world.
- Be a geek, no matter what.
- Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
- Save any and all geeky things you have.
- Do everything you can to show off your geeky stuff as though it were a "museum of geekiness."
- Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
- Don't waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
- Befriend any person or persons bearing any physical similarities to comic book or sci-fi figures.
- Try to take over the world.
We leave you with an unknown - but probably oft-used in certain circles - geek quote:
"My Pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard, and they're like you wanna trade cards? Darn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this but not my charizard."Happy Nerd/Geek Pride day everyone!