Why should you care? Here are some facts that hopefully get your attention:
- Someone 40% overweight is twice as likely to die prematurely as a person of normal weight
- Despite the advances in medical technology and research, men continue to live an average of 7 years less than women
- The likelihood that a man will develop prostate cancer is 1 in 11.
- The death rate for prostate cancer has grown at almost twice the death rate of breast cancer in the last five years.
- African-American men in the United States have the highest incidence in the world of cancer of the prostate.
- Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers in men aged 15-34, and when detected early, has an 87 percent survival rate.
- Smoking triples the risk of dying from heart disease in middle age
- Men are seven times as likely as women to be arrested for drunk driving and three times as likely to be alcoholics.
Here are some useful men’s health related resources:
- The CDC reviews science and research related to men’s health and wellness
- Valuable information about prostate cancer
- A good overview of a healthy male diet and nutrition
- Facts about baldness from consumer reports
- Everything from skin care to how to look taller