Monday, August 23, 2010

So Long, Farewell

Me and my daughter on a recent family vacation.

The Sound of Music
is one of my favorite movies, and the scene where the von Trapp children sing their goodnights has to be one of the most memorable. I've probably known the words to the song since I was about four, but saying them now to my colleagues at Research!America is one of the hardest things I've had to do.

I have learned and experienced so much in the past six years. I am so proud of what we at Research!America--and especially the Policy and Outreach team--have been able to accomplish. It's amazing what a small group of people can do when they're committed to a mission. As Mahatma Gandhi said, "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

To that end, I have decided to go back to school to be a high school science teacher. If all goes as planned, I should be in the classroom by next fall. I see teaching as a different path to accomplishing the same goal of making science and research a higher national priority. I will personally continue to be a part of the New Voices community, and I hope I can inspire some of my future students to be the next generation of researchers and science advocates.

So, to Stacie, Heather, Michelle all of the interns and fellows I've worked with over the years, my colleagues at Research!America and all of the New Voices, thank you.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Bye Emily! Thanks for a great summer and best of luck teaching - of course you won't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck, Emily! You were an amazing mentor! And I am certain you will be an inspirational teacher :)

    ReplyDelete