Friday, February 26, 2010

National Tooth Fairy Day

I've always liked going to the dentist. I'm pretty sure it started because I got a sticker or plastic ring from my childhood dentist, Dr. Bluth, when I had a good visit. It could also be because after having 8 teeth pulled in preparation for braces, a cleaning doesn't sound so bad. Whatever the cause, I'm a big fan of regular check-ups and dental health.

Throughout Children's Dental Health Month, the American Dental Association is promoting positive early experiences with dental health (like mine!) to give American children a foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.

One strong proponent for healthy teeth is the Tooth Fairy, and since today is her special day, I asked her a few questions about teeth and dental health research.

Me: How are things in the world of teeth collection?
TF: Good across the board. The number of cavities are going down and people are keeping their teeth longer. Which means less collecting for me and more change in my pocket.

Me: Since you brought it up, what's the going price for a tooth these days?
TF: Every tooth is different, but prices have gone up since I collected your baby teeth. It's about $2 a tooth now.

Me: Wow. That's more than the rate of biomedical inflation.
TF: Things have changed since you were 12, Heather.

Me: True. How do you keep up with all the new trends in dental research?
TF: I do frequent flyovers at the American Association for Dental Research. They have great resources for the latest dental research.

Me: Do you know any interesting dental health facts?
TF: Sure. A person's tongue print is as unique as their fingerprints.

Me: ....
TF: Lots of people sleep with their mouths open and I have exceptional vision.
Me: ....

Me: What's one thing about teeth specifically most people wouldn't know?
TF: The average person spends about 38.5 days brushing their teeth over a lifetime.

Me: How do you feel about the new Tooth Fairy movie?
TF: ....

Me: Alright, well that about wraps it up. Thanks Tooth Fairy!
TF: No problem, and don't forget to floss!


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Very witty, Heather. Nice job! Ha ha, I didn't know that it was already $2 a tooth last year. I still give my children a dollar! They don't need the money anyway, so $1 is enough. Don't worry, I'm sure that when they're older, the tooth fairy will give them $100 for each of their lost dental implants. Ha ha! That's an exclusive price for the residents of Atlanta, GA.

    ReplyDelete